Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Guest Review: The Hypnotist


Review of ‘The Hypnotist’ 
Author- Lars Kepler
Reviewed by: Dr. Shivani Kapoor

I do not usually pick up a fiction by choice. This too was opted for, thinking it was a non-fiction on hypnosis. Once I began reading, it was the much clichéd statement, ‘I couldn’t put the book away’. I read The Hypnotist with a thrill that I thought only teenagers could feel. To say there is excitement, suspense and chill would be an understatement. It truly made me feel like a child wanting more. The drama began very early in the novel and carried on till the very end. There are several stories within the story and each unfolds quickly and deliciously. Each story is gripping in its own way.
I do not wish to spoil the fun for the reader by revealing absolutely anything about the story, except say – Go for it. However, since I need to do some justice with this review job I will try to reveal just enough to get you interested.
The Hypnotist is a novel about a triple murder, all in the same family. The survivor, a young boy is hospitalized, barely conscious and his sister seems to have vanished. The detective Joona Linna is at his professional best, yet needing the help of a disgraced hypnotist to gather some clue from the injured boy. Erik, the hypnotist gets personally involved in solving the case. Time is running short as the killer may be looking for the missing sister. Meanwhile, many other events are taking place that may be related to the triple murder. They are taking place simultaneously, though the detective is not sure whether it is purely coincidental.
Hypnosis, is a subject interestingly revealed in this novel. It adds to the thrill of the entire plot. Though towards the end, I found the drama within drama a wee bit too much, but the book is truly sensational. In fact, a perfect script for a film.
Yes, I did stay up half the night to finish it. In short, racy, tense, nail biting and goose pimple-giving book.
(Dr.. Shivani Kapoor is a Ph.D in English Literature, B.Ed and MBA. She is a trainer for teachers and gives counseling on parenting)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with more information? It is extremely helpful for me.
    NLP certification

    ReplyDelete