Thursday, January 19, 2012

Review: Two Fates: The Story of my Divorce


I recently read a book called Two Fates, and if the title sounds similar to Chetan Bhagat’s Two Fates, let it be known it is intentional. Yes the book takes off from where probably Chetan Bhagat’s book ended , in which the North Indian boy marries his college sweetheart the South Indian girl. In all honesty I found 2 States a genuine fun book even though I am not a Chetan Bhagat fan.

So if Chetan Bhagat's book was two states: The Story of my Marriage we have Judy Balan's 2 Fates: The Story of my Divorce tries to present a story of how after 4 years of a similar Punjabi boy married to a Tamil girl scenario the two decide to divorce.But here’s the proverbial twist in the tail, getting a divorce is almost near impossible because by now the two families are very much in love with each other. If you thought that reading this would be fun, I am sorry to burst your bubble it is so not funny. I just find the entire deal of basing your book as a flipside to another already published book downright weird.

Moreover the story does nothing to convince you that the two have any valid reason to divorce, more like flirting with the idea. And basing an entire book on this idea is absolutely unconvincing and well not so hilarious as the author might have intended. Then making the characters forcibly sound cool and awesome is also a big turn off while reading the book.

Okay also a declaration- no I am not a Punjabi nor am I a Tamilian. No, just in case you were wondering. 

It is a book you can easily skip.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you about how basing a book on another book isn't a good idea and I'm not a Chetan Bhagat fan either.. but, I think parental pressure on arranged marriages is a good theme, maybe it wasn't tackled well by Ms. Balan! :)

    ReplyDelete